Wednesday 12 October 2011

Sands of Solace













My sister in law and I, have long admired Jim Deneven, not only for his ethereal and ephemeral earth surface art featured over the years in many good mags, but moreso for his big red outstanding bus and farmer dinners that married local seasonal produce to table in the most magical way.


















So I was really stoked to see that he recently visited Crescent Head, and teamed up with filmaker, Andrew Kidman and the Tallow girls to promote their new summer 2012 range via short film.

I like what he says about ephemeral art, in that he doesn't feel art should be protected and given an exhalted status, but the way that his sand drawings are destroyed by nature and the elements ruins any idea that it's 'precious' or should be elevated. Even better I like the similarities he draws from this to surfing, dancing, music, and life in general.

 
Sands of Solace from Tallow Gallery on Vimeo.

2 comments: